LIKE US!

10/09/2011

VIVACIOUS HAIR & SKIN: The Benefits of Coconut Oil

Originally when I was going to write this, I was going to write about how wonderful coconut oil is for the hair. But coconut oil is really one of those "one stop shop" type of household necessities. Its great for the hair and scalp, its probably the best thing you can put on your skin, its great to cook and un-cook with, it has great nutritional benefits and even has medicinal properties to it. I take this with me when I travel and I use it on my hair, skin, and if I get a cut, scrape or bruise, I use it on that too. I know I wrote briefly about the benefits of coconut oil in 8 Ancient Superfoods That Promote Good Health, but really more could be said on the topic...

HAIR BENEFITS
Coconut oil is excellent for both your hair and scalp. Not only does it relieve that dry itchy scalp, but it also rejuvenates the hair shaft and help to repair dry, damaged and brittle hair. Using coconut oil ensures that your scalp is free of dandruff, lice, and lice eggs, even if your scalp is dry. Coconut oil is extensively used in the Indian sub-continent for hair care. It is an excellent conditioner and helps in the re-growth of damaged hair. It also provides the essential proteins required for nourishing damaged hair.

SKIN BENEFITS
Coconut oil is excellent for the skin. It is mother natures all natural SPF! That's right! Using coconut oil protects your skin from harmful UV Rays! It also evenly tones the skin, reducing blemishes, acne and aging spots. Not to mention it moisturizes the skin very well, as it contains one of the highest level of natural Vitamin E and helps with many skin problems as well as premature aging.

NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS
Studies have shown that people who have switched to coconut oil have had less occurrences of heart disease. For years it was a common misconception that this oil was not good for you and was even bad for the heart. This is because it contains a large quantity of saturated fats (don't let that scare you, because unlike most oils, coconut oil does not sit in your system, it quickly moves out taking bad fat with it.) However, coconut oil contains about 50% lauric acid, which helps in preventing various heart problems including high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure. Additional benefits include weight loss, controlling diabetes, curing kidney and gall bladder issues, treating pancreatic issues, providing easy digestion, healing stomach issues, and boosting immunity. It's even good for the teeth, as it has a good amount of calcium.

MEDICINAL BENEFITS
I mentioned earlier that I use coconut oil on cuts and scrapes. One of the greatest coconut oil benefits, if not the greatest, is its ability to wipe out bacteria, fungi, viruses, parasites, yeasts, worms, etc. Organic Facts states, "when applied on infections, it forms a chemical layer which protects the infected body part from external dust, air, fungi, bacteria and virus. Coconut oil is most effective on bruises as it speeds up the healing process by repairing damaged tissues." 

There is so much to be said about coconut oil. I think its one of those hidden gems. Coconut oil is really an oldy but goody and I thought I'd share its greatness with those of you who don't know...As far as my house, there is coconut oil in every room. I use it for everything you can think of! I will use this until the day I die. I really wanted to share the greatness of coconut oil with everyone. If you haven't tried it, I hope you will give it a try. You'd be surprised how great it works and the smell isn't over bearing. 

Need coconut oil? Click here


--------------
References:
PLEASE NOTE! This site (including but not limited to: all food, hair and skin care recipes; tips; tutorials; writings; and, downloads) are absolutely free to the public! Because it's free, I ask one simple favor in return, as your token of appreciation for my humanitarian effort...I realize you may want to share and maybe even use Veg Vivaciously's content in your business (including but not limited to: blog(s), e-zine(s), website(s), free publication(s), etc). You can, as long as you (1) do not charge a fee; (2) cite the direct link of the Veg Vivaciously content used; and, (3) include the verbiage below with the Veg Vivaciously content used:
-------COPY BLURB BELOW-------
This content was originally from Veg Vivaciously, a website that teaches healthier alternatives one veggie at a time. You can get your FREE (food, hair and skin care) recipes, tutorials and other writings and tips directly at www.vegvivaciously.org. PLUS you can stay connected and join the Veg Vivaciously community on Facebook, Twitter and/or even download the Veg Vivaciously Toolbar and/or Phone App to stay in the know!
-------COPY BLURB ABOVE-------


 
Copyright © 2011 Veg Vivaciously All Rights Reserved.