LIKE US!

9/23/2011

WEEKLY FITNESS TIP: Making Time in a Hectic Schedule to Exercise

When I first started working out, my number one excuse was "making time" for working out. I really didn't have the time. I've never been a morning person so getting up earlier than I need to begin my day was out of the question. To fit exercise into my already crazy schedule when I was already praying for at least 6 more hours in a day, was next to impossible, or so I thought. 

I learned rather quickly to break up my workout in intervals. I know this sounds crazy, but I would break my exercise routine up into three 20 minute workouts. Sometimes even four 15 minute workouts. Who said the hour workout had to be all at once?
  • In the morning, I would get to my office, shut the office door and I would stretch and do some maneuvers while sitting in my seat at my desk! Afterwards, I would sip on a cup of green tea.
  • For lunch, I would walk, then eat. At this time I was a beginner, so I would only walk a half mile or so, strolling, not speed walking. My point was to move, do something, even if it was just a stroll through the park. Then I would come back to work and eat my lunch at my desk. (walking tips here)
  • In the evening, I would stretch again, or try to do wall pushups, crunches on the edge of my bed...something right before bed. I would even bend over or lunge while sweeping and vacuuming...again, whatever it took to get my exercise in. Sometimes, I would even do stress yoga stretches, which helped me sleep like a baby.
As silly as it sounds, these little things really got me into working out. While I didn't see fast physical results, I noticed the difference in my temperament, attitude, behavior, I was able to sleep much sounder than before, and I would even wake up a little more rejuvenated than previously too. 

After doing this for about 6 months, I eventually bought a pedometer and started monitoring my walking. When I realized how far I've come by evaluating myself, it just made me want to kick it up a notch. I started walking to work, the store, taking the stairs...just doing what little bit I can to get my work out in. The next thing I know, I was uping my half mile to a mile then to a mile and half, then to two now I can walk at the very least 7 miles without it being a chore.

If I can do it, you can to! Just remember, DO NOT compare yourself to other people. Compare yourself to you! Think about where you were yesterday, last week, last month, last year and where you are today, where you want to be...and compare that. Here's a link from Womens Health Magazine and Fitness Magazine with a series 20 minute workout routines to help get you started. 

There will never be another you, so remember, no matter how hectic your life...make yourself a priority. This is you loving yourself.


PLEASE NOTE! This site (including but not limited to: all food, hair and skin care recipes; tips; tutorials; writings; and, downloads) are absolutely free to the public! Because it's free, I ask one simple favor in return, as your token of appreciation for my humanitarian effort...I realize you may want to share and maybe even use Veg Vivaciously's content in your business (including but not limited to: blog(s), e-zine(s), website(s), free publication(s), etc). You can, as long as you (1) do not charge a fee; (2) cite the direct link of the Veg Vivaciously content used; and, (3) include the verbiage below with the Veg Vivaciously content used:
-------COPY BLURB BELOW-------
This content was originally from Veg Vivaciously, a website that teaches healthier alternatives one veggie at a time. You can get your FREE (food, hair and skin care) recipes, tutorials and other writings and tips directly at www.vegvivaciously.org. PLUS you can stay connected and join the Veg Vivaciously community on Facebook, Twitter and/or even download the Veg Vivaciously Toolbar and/or Phone App to stay in the know!
-------COPY BLURB ABOVE-------


 
Copyright © 2011 Veg Vivaciously All Rights Reserved.